To provide Christian discipleship, training and support to people impacted by sexual and relational issues.
Our goal is that those who struggle with sexual and relational brokenness and confusion will find the relief, peace, freedom, joy and hope that they are longing for through their personal relationship with Jesus and the people in their lives. We also aim to equip our local community with the confidence and skill required to fulfill its unique roles in the lives of those suffering and looking for their way forward in Jesus.
- The Holy Bible is the inerrant, unchangeable, and the absolute Word of God.
- Faith, Hope, Love and the greatest of these is Love. (1 Cor. 13)
- Life in the Spirit (the exchanged life) is essential to reflect Christ’s character. (Gal. 5)
- All expressions of sexual intimacy outside the bonds of heterosexual marriage are both unbiblical and immoral.
- Same-sex attraction is primarily developmental and outside of God’s will.
- We believe that the Bible is the inspired Word of God.
- We believe in one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
- We believe that for the salvation of lost and sinful man, faith in the Lord Jesus and regeneration of the Holy Spirit are essential.
- We believe in the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body and eternal life.
- We believe the Bible teaches that all homosexual conduct is wrong and against God’s standards. But by upholding His standard of holiness, we strongly affirm God’s love and redemptive power to recreate the individual who follows Him.
- We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit, by whose indwelling the Christian is enabled to live a godly life.
The Baptist Faith and Vision 2000
Identify Ministries, based out of Gainesville, Florida, began January 2014 after Derek was lead through personal revelation to minister in the area of sexual and relational issues. Having a testimony from homosexual attraction himself, Derek knew first-hand the struggle to live in congruity with his faith and the God he served. From that point forward, Derek, Chantelle and our volunteers have provided testimonies, individual prayer training and support, group training sessions, worship flagging demonstrations, and workshops both locally and countrywide. As of October 1, 2017, this ministry transitioned from part-time operation to full-time operation. We have volunteers for various programs: clients, families, immediate needs, resource review, pastoral support, worship flagging, and prayer.
Founder and Executive Pastor
Derek has personally overcome same-sex attraction through the Christian faith and he has a professional background as an Occupational Therapist giving him the empathy, experience and success to navigate the challenging personal and familial situations involving sexual confusion. Derek's heart is to see those in his life grow their personal relationship with Jesus and become secure and effective in their avenue of ministry! Derek has the heart of a teacher and father who supports and facilitates the spiritual growth of those involved in the ministry. Personal spiritual development, exposure to a community of holiness and compassion, and developing healthy boundaries are focuses of Derek's effective support.
Derek is a worship art enthusiast and you may also find him performing or teaching worship flagging demonstrations at events!
Chantelle tracks ministry finances and assists in everyday ministry tasks. She has a personal testimony of supporting Derek, the Identify Ministries' Director and her spouse, for years through practical relationship skills and her Christian faith while he discovered the freedom God promises. She has a background as a Social Worker and is empathetic to the difficult situation many families have to navigate. Chantelle is also well-known in the community for her service among the elderly.
Elmer & Rhen
Parents Fellowship Facilitators
While Elmer and Rhen are mature Christian believers, they are also newlyweds. Elmer has had a heart for years to better understand those with same-sex attraction and gender confusion. He has invested his time and resources the last few years into getting training and serving alongside Derek at Identify. His new bride Rhen, is a photographer and mother who wants to see God's plan unfold in a God-glorifying way for everyone in their community. Elmer and Rhen like sharing their personal stories and supporting other parents with family challenges.
Board of Directors
Mark is also the Founder and Executive Director of New Hearts Outreach in Tampa, Florida who is celebrating 20 years of ministry this coming year of 2019. Mark is well-known in the Church for his compassion for those facing difficulties associated with all forms of sexuality and his very encouraging personality. He is well known for saying, "God moves in the circumstances of our lives!" and "The best is yet to come!"
Marie Rucker Schofill
Board Vice President
Marie has extensive experience leading Christian ministry, discipling those across diverse denominations, leading support groups, leading prayer ministry, and liaising with multiple religious organizations. Her kindness and resilience are a testimony to all those who know her!
Yerania brings many years of successful managerial experience in the medical and retail fields to her role as the Identify Ministries Board Secretary. Years of strategic thinking and documenting innovative procedures in the medical field challenge Identify to be a cutting edge service to the local Church. You may find Yerania participating in a wide variety of interests from Physics to Belly Dance!
Please reach out to us with any questions you may have!